Friday, March 02, 2007

Sitting up!

For like 20-30 seconds at a time (some places, like my lap or his pram, for like 5 minutes, but there are places to catch himself if he starts leaning in both those spots.)

Also, what's with the arm flapping? It seems almost compulsive when he's tired, and I get bopped in the face OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER in the mornings (he comes in with us after 7:30, when he gets up - we play for a while then we all go back to sleep for about an hour at 8:30 or so.) And I'm usually too tired to move my face, so I put up with it.

Also, I had him on my back in a wrap today, and he puked in my hair! Aaugh! Here is a piece of wisdom for you: do not flip a baby up on your back and tie him there tightly squished against you when he's just eaten like 5 oz of milk!! Unless you like the sensation of warm stomach contents trickling down the back of your neck.

And I had just gotten out of the shower, too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the sitting? Better even than surrounding him with pillows, I love using a box. Yup, a cardboard box. You pick a rectangular box of the right size. It needs to fit him fairly snugly at the hips - no more than a couple cm clearance on either side, with the longer part ahead of him, into which you can pop a couple of soft toys. (Nothing hard, because when he gets tired, he'll just flop straight over on top of them!)

I put a pillow on either side of the box, so it doesn't tip to the side. I also cut the sides of the box down so that they come up only as far as his elbow-to-armpit, so the arms can move freely. You see the picture? It's just a substitute for you sitting behind him and holding his butt on the floor!

I find that when they're at the stage of almost sitting (that stage where they can sit for a ten or twenty seconds on their own before tipping inexorably over) this is a good technique to let them play the way they're yearning to.

I'm not sure if he's quite ready for this, but it won't be long before he is.

Mmmm...warm stomach contents... Back to the shower for you1

4:46 AM  
Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

I used a bumbo seat.
I loved it!
Have you seen these???

And the puking down the back of the neck...yeah...been there!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Just some girl said...

Mary, the box is a really good idea! We actually have a pram-type stroller that we keep in the living room and it's become a sort of de facto playpen - and it's almost exactly like the box you described. So he does a lot of sitting practice in there. (And also, now, he's pretty much sitting stably on his own - I still put pillows around him on the floor to forestall bonking, but he's good for about 10 minutes now. Barring something very interesting in his peripheral vision, of course.

Lainie, we do have a bumbo, but it's never worked for us - he wears cloth diapers and his butt is HUGE and we can't wedge him down into it any more. (He fit when he was about 3 months old, but that was the end of it.) Also, he wasn't dextrous enough to do anything but drop toys when he sat in it, and since they go down way way away in the bumbo it frustrated him more than anything. But they work great for disposable diaper babies!

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home