Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Teething??? Sucks!

I guess that it's teething, at least. He took a normal (though early) nap this morning - got up at 6:00 and went back to sleep at 7:00 for about 1 1/2 hours. AND THEN ONLY SLEPT FOR 30 MINUTES THE REST OF THE DANG DAY. This is a child who averages 15 1/2 hours per day. He wasn't really cranky all day, but was CLEARLY exhausted and couldn't get to sleep. And when he would drop off, he would startle himself awake (despite brutally tight swaddling) about every 5 minutes.

I finally got him to sleep in the Ergo on my back around 5:30 and then he woke up within 15 minutes of me putting him down (although I waited till he had been asleep for 20 minutes to make sure he was really sacked out.) He finally fell asleep again in my lap about 6:30, but kept waking up crying like he was uncomfortable or in pain - I finally gave him some infant Tylenol and he seems to be snoozing much better now. (He's in bed with me all snuggled up to my leg - I couldn't sit crosslegged with his heavy self in my lap for another minute.)

I see what all the fuss is about now. Poor little man. How long does it usually take for them to pop through? Or will it be like this from now on?

It may be combined with the prep for the 26 week developmental spurt - he's well out of the 19 week one and has been going down by himself again like a champ for about a week or two. (He's 23 weeks now, but apparently this is a big one and the prep is longer?)

Also! In other news! I'm now done with all my small semesterly writing/presentation stuff - and both professors said they didn't care if I turned in the seminar papers over the summer, when I'm not teaching. So things should be calmer around here from now on, as I'll only have to keep up with the daily readings and begin my researching for the papers (in a relaxed fashion.)

Good thing - I pulled 3-4 all nighters in the past two weeks (and it wasn't the baby's fault!) That totally sucks when you're 36, let me just tell you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Infant Tylenol worked so much better when it still had the alcohol in it! I mean come come on, it was only 5% or something, and you only give them a couple of drops, it's not like it's paregoric by the glassful, but no, the natural food gang had to make a fuss and now who knows what the liquid medium is that the medicine is dissolved in.

Teething is the pits, all right, but every tooth they get isn't like that, only the first couple.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurray for infant Tylenol!!

Some babies pop their teeth with no fuss at all. Some fuss like crazy for each and every tooth. Some only fuss for certain teeth. The eye teeth and molars tend to be troublesome. But not always. (You nailed it when you said babies were weird...)

Teething also occurs in spurts. A tooth will be erupting for a few days, then ease off, then try to erupt for a few more days.

As for those developmental spurts? Babies spend so very much of their first two or three years developing like crazy, I generally go on the assumption that develpment is ongoing, and thereafter ignore it. Well, not exactly ignore it, because it is interesting, but I don't give it a lot of direct attention. I focus on and treat the symptoms, and let the development take care of itself.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home