Sunday, January 28, 2007

I made the MOST DELICIOUS cinnamon-raisin bread in the bread machine the other day. (I know, I know, y'all purists want to get into your dough up to the elbows - and I enjoy that at times too. But I'm BUSY, and hate boughten bread, and plus the King Arthur people use them in their test kitchens to make their dough as the bread machine is the home equivalent of a real proofing box and that's how I do it too, so hush.)

Anyway, here's the recipe; the basis of it is a Beth Hensperger recipe from the Bread Bible that I completely copied, and she has lots of variations after it, but strangely, no cinnamon-raisin variation. So I made one up. And It Was Good.

Makes: 1 loaf
Dough for 1-pound loaf makes 6 round and 8 long rolls
Dough for 1 1/2-pound loaf makes 8 round and 10 long rolls
1 1/2 -pound loaf
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 large egg plus 1 yolk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 cups bread flour
3 teaspoons gluten
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast

1-pound loaf
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons gluten
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Filling:
3 tbs butter, softened
3/4 cup golden raisins, soaked in about 1/4 cup dark rum
1 tbs cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar

1. Place the ingredients in the bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions (I also added about 3 tbs sugar to the dough ingredients.) Choose the dough cycle. After it is finished proofing, take it out and knock it down, then roll it out flat. Spread the filling mixture (obviously, drain the raisins first) over the bread and roll it up; stuff into a loaf pan seam side down and allow to rise again (it won't take long.) Bake at 350 for about 35 or 40 minutes - don't overbake.

This was totally delicious - next time, though, I believe I'll knead some of the cinnamon and raisins into the dough itself, as well as having the swirl that runs through the bread.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I use my bread machine all the time, to bake the bread, too. At least you took the dough out and shaped it yourself and baked it in a real loaf pan. This bread sounds wonderful. I just bought that book, "You on a Diet" (really stupid, don't waste your money) and they say that eating cinnamon curbs your appetite.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home