Sunday, February 25, 2007

Cooking/baby question

Not a question about cooking the baby, don't worry!

I am planning on doing baby-led weaning with Archie (link about it here if you're interested! And don't worry, it is in English.) He's 6 months in a little over a week, and I have already let him try sucking on apple halves, chewing celery/carrot sticks [great for teething - I read that the celery has something in it that numbs the gums!], avocado, hummus, and toasted olive-rosemary bread. Thumbs up on everything so far - he's a big fan.

Here's the question: babies are supposed to have NO ADDED SALT until they're older and their kidneys are mature (a baby in GB died b/c he'd been consistently fed an oatmeal product with salt for breakfast and mashed potatoes with gravy for dinner!!) so...will our adult food taste yucky being cooked without salt and salted at the table, or will it be fine? (I could always keep a portion aside for him and salt the rest during cooking - just do it in a separate small vessel.)

I made a faker cassoulet tonight (recipe here, don't bother though) without salt (just for practice - I wouldn't feed him that yet. Kielbasa? Yuck!) (also, it was NOT that good - boring, nothing special, and a lot of faffing about for not a very awesome end result.) ANYWAY, it was so bland even after salting at the table - I wondered if the salting during cooking was part of what was missing. Anyone know?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fancy meeting you here...

HI HEATH!

I was browsing Sweet Juniper's comments and thought, "what are the chances that there are two Heaths who love dogs and just had a baby?" So, I clicked. Location: Chapel Hill.

I hope all is well! Click web page for a pic of my little one. We hope to see you sometime when we're back in town.

Love,
Ash

3:01 PM  
Blogger Almost Vegetarian said...

It does make a difference when you salt your food, but obviously your priority is your little man, so I do have a tip that might help when salting foods on your plate: Use the best sea salt you can find. It makes a huge difference. Maldon is a good, standard salt. These days, we are using a Portugese sea salt we rather like. Try Sur la Table or Dean & Deluca (if they don't have local stores, you can try online - although I do know there is a nice D&D in Charlotte if you're ever at that end of the state). Hope that helps.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Just some girl said...

Thanks! I will get some. (I have some cheapy Trader Joe's already and will try that till I can get the fancy stuff!)

5:29 PM  
Blogger Skinnybirch said...

What! Don't cook the baby! especially in non-flame retardant clothing! Just kidding - of course. I have no idea about the salt, btw.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing helpful to say on the salt front - you sound a much more seasoned cook than I. (Ar, ar, ar.) (Except to say we hardly ever cook with salt - but we do use lots of other spices.)

But I can help with the link problem! However, I think I'll have to email it to you, because if I try to write code in this box, it'll just turn in into a link, and you won't be able to see what I've done...

10:56 AM  
Blogger Just some girl said...

Woohoo! It totally worked, Mary! Thanks!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Girl,
This isn;t so much a fake cassoulet as much quicker and easier dish in the same tradition: http://seriouslygood.kdweeks.com/2005/04/cannellini-beans.html

It's a killer dish.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home