Saturday, February 25, 2006

I'm not doing anything that I'm supposed to be doing right now. Well, I am making bread (y'all! I found the BEST bread machine oatmeal bread recipe! I'll tell you all about it in a minute!) and I did rearrange one of the kitchen counters and do a load of laundry...but I am NOT studying or working on my thesis (the most important thing that I should be doing right now that I am not doing.) And that's what I should be doing.

What I am doing: eating toast (on aforementioned bread!), drinking tea, watching BBC TV As Time Goes By, and reading the internets. I found new favorite blogs! Miss Doxie, and New Jan Brady, and Anna Beth, and Wendy. What a bunch of really, really funny women who are really, really good writers!

Here's a weird thing. I like boy everything mostly better (dogs, cats, husbands, often friends) but I almost always like women writers better (especially including my biggest junk-reading weakness, mystery novels.) In fact, I can only think of a very few man bloggers that I find entertaining (and it's Patrick.) (That doesn't count the several male-persuasion food bloggers I love, of course - I'm just thinking of entertainment blogging.) (And come to think of it, about 1/3 of the academic blogs I like are men.) (I think. I don't really know if Bardiac is a man or a woman.)

Anyhow, here's that bread machine recipe. Mix in a large glass measuring cup: 1 cup boiling water and 1/2 cup oats. Stir in 2 tbs butter, 1 tbs blackstrap molasses, 2 tbs honey, 1.5 tsp salt, 1 beaten egg. Let sit a couple minutes. Put in the bottom of your bread machine pan, add 3 cups bread flour (good with some whole wheat) and sprinkle on 2 tsp yeast. Crust control light (very tender) or medium; 1.5 lb loaf. YUM!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Being bored, I tried yoor bread recipe. I fink it would have worked better if someone other than me had tried making it. I kinda killed the oven (I dont have one of those bread machines...mebbe thats what went wrong huh. I will try again another day once I scrub the scorch marks out of the kitchen. Your blog is very interesting. Thankyoo for sharing.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home