Sunday, February 19, 2006

I have been craving Ben & Jerry's Mint Chocolate Cookie ice cream over and over and over since I got pregnant, but even a pregnant girl can only send her husband to the store at 9 pm on a frigid February night so many times. So I made some. And it was good. Here's how: (it's Philly-style, so it's totally fast and easy if you keep your chiller bucket for your Donvier in the freezer)

2 cups each whole milk and heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt (which I forgot)
1 tsp each vanilla and mint extract
About 10 oreos, all mushed up with a rolling pin

Stir everything but the cookies together (till the sugar dissolves) and pour into the chill bucket. Crank a few times (I have a hand-cranked Donvier) and add the cookies when it reaches soft-serve stage. Harden in the freezer if necessary (I think maybe the chiller is less chilly now than it used to be - it takes longer to freeze the ice cream hard, and we usually have to put it in the freezer to harden off a little to get it just right.) But DAYUM, it hit the spot. (Of course it would be better with fresh mint, but y'all, it's cold out there. This summer I'll do it the right way.)

Now: going to work on thesis! First 5 pages due to advisor by Tuesday! And getting observed in the classroom Wednesday! And LOTS of reading to do as well! Plus I'm sleepy all the time (took a 2 hour nap today) and PBS Bleak House comes on in 45 minutes. See how cultured I am with my work avoidance skills?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home