Monday, January 16, 2006

Carrot-Orange Bread

It's cold. I'm in my reading chair huddled up under TWO blankets - a wool one and a down one. And I'm still cold! So I made Carrot Tea Bread (also because we had two bags of carrots in the fridge that look ready to sprout - I'm still looking for something to do with that second bag of celery...feel free to post any ideas, though I did find a celery soup recipe that isn't creamed and that looks interesting.)

The original recipe is from Farm Journal Baking Book, but of course I messed with it some.

4 large carrots, peeled and grated (I used 5 to get rid of an extra one!)
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 - 1 tsp orange oil (or you could use the zest of 1 orange - I didn't have one)
(Original recipe called for 1 tsp cinnamon in place of ginger and orange)

Sift dry ingredients together; beat eggs with oil and stir in carrots. Mix gently until just combined and bake at 350 for about an hour. Cool 10 minutes in the pan and then turn out.

The whole house smells like oranges now, and I left the oven door open after I pulled the bread out and turned it off, so at least the kitchen is warm. I'm going to close all the curtains, snuggle up under the blankets, have a cup of tea and a slice of carrot bread, and read about the Victorians to while away this dull, grey, cold day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home