Friday, January 06, 2006

Naps and Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's a very nappish day here - cold and grey, with a very low sky. I walked out to get the mail, but other than that I've been mostly curled up in my red armchair with the curtains closed and lots of lights on. (Of course, I also took a hot bath and then a two hour nap - I'm taking full advantage of the last few days of sloth before the semester starts again!)

I was in the mood for comfort food, so I made a recipe of chocolate chip cookies from Small Batch Baking. So far the things I've made from there have been really good, and chocolate chip cookies are a personal thing (I like mine on the chewy crispy toffee-ish side, NOT pillowy and cakey: typical Tollhouse style) but these are a little crazy! Maybe I did something wrong. They're flat with bumps where the chips are and they look like they're going to be exceptionally crispy. Perhaps I overbaked them.

In any case, if you'd like to try the recipe and tell me where I went wrong, here it is:

1/4 cup plus 2 tbs all-purpose flour (Oh, maybe that was it: I forgot the extra 2 tbs of flour. Pretty important ingredient in a cookie.)
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
3 tbs plus 1 tsp butter at room temperature
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tbs granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbs plus 1 tsp well-beaten egg
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Cream the butter with the sugars; add the egg and beat to combine. Stir together the flour, salt, and soda and add to wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.


(Oh, the verdict? Ugly, but delicious. Too crispy, but not by much - and the butterscotch/toffee thing that you get in the best chocolate chip cookies comes through loud and clear. So, make it with all the flour it calls for, and enjoy!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home