Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Oh my GOD, y'all. It's a work of art. (The mixer, not the dinner.)

I got my MIXER today!!!! My Christmas mixer! And it's the most beautiful thing ever, except for the baby, in the whole world!! (I'm currently waiting for onions to caramelize for ravioli filling, or I'd be in there using it RIGHT NOW - dough to be made in there for SURE, and I got the pasta roller attachment too!!)

I'm going to try to put in a picture. (This new beta Blogger seems to make everything easier - screw the second party blog clients for the Mac that I can't fucking figure out - how un-Mac-like is THAT? Blogger is now all I need. IF I can figure out how to load the images, which apparently I can't. Seriously, what good is a food blog without pictures? And I wanted you to drool over my new baby. Hell, here's the link to the page - go look at it your own self, then come back and tell me how faboo it is.) (Fabu?)

ANYWAY, I also got a 13 1/2 inch preseasoned Lodge skillet. (My husband is the best - he was all worried that they would be "chauvinistic" gifts, but they're what I wanted!!) I have about 7 onions caramelizing in that bad boy right now. Here's what's for dinner (and pictures will have to come later, after I wrestle with the angel a little bit.)

Fettucine (whoa, that cutter is good. They were perfect!)

With a kind of weird but delicious stroganoff-type sauce: (LOTS of umami!)

8 (!) cloves garlic
olive oil
a bunch (double handful) mushrooms (I used all domestic, b/c I had some to use up, but it would kick ass with some reconstituted dried fancy ones, or fresh ones if you're rich.)
a couple tablespoons butter
a couple tablespoons flour
salt and pepper
red wine to deglaze
white truffle oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 - 1/2 cup milk

Gently saute the garlic in the oil. Add sliced mushrooms, the butter, and let soften up (~ 5 mins.) Add the flour and cook till it loses its raw taste. Season with salt and pepper; if it starts to stick (and it will) splash in a little wine (white would have been better but red is what I had) to deglaze the pan. Stir in the sour cream and the milk (enough to thin to sauce consistency); drizzle in about 1/2 - 1 tsp of white truffle oil.

Meanwhile, boil the fettucine that you made using your fabulous new pearly green KitchenAid mixer and pasta roller attachment for about 6-7 minutes in salted boiling water . Put sauce over. Drink a bottle of Toad Hollow chardonnay (with ice in it b/c you sent your sweet sweet husband out to get it at the last minute and it's not chilled yet.) Enjoy while baby sleeps. :)

Yum. Now go watch Elf, if you totally want to have my exact night.



This is the kind of thing I don't usually post about (just thrown together stuff based on what's in the fridge and what I need to use up) but...maybe somebody will be interested in it. It sure was good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home