Sunday, July 15, 2007

Judy Rodgers' Zuni Cafe Cookbook and MOBILE, TOOTHY BABY!

Thing One: Run! Don't walk! Buy this book ASAP! Not only is the Zuni roast chicken and bread salad FABULOUS - the entire book is packed with amazing recipes. Rodgers is amazing. I can't recommend it highly enough. As soon as we get back from the beach (have to use up what's in the fridge now - farmers' market bounty and much defrosted meat - before we buy anything else perishable) I will be cooking many many things out of this book. Instead of studying for my PhD exams. Perhaps I will cook something delicious for my committee when it comes time for my orals, and they will kindly overlook the fact that I'm slack as hell and pass me anyway!

Thing Two: Baby is mobile! I've been trying to make enchilada sauce for two days now, and the nugget won't allow it. R is in the middle of building a huge storage unit for the living room, so he's outside from dawn to dusk, and I'm inside with the newly crawling, newly cruising and obsessively standing up (and OVERNIGHT THREE NEW TOOTH-GROWING) baby. If I put him in the walker (no steps in our house, it's safe, and I watch him all the time anyway) he immediately rams it into the dog's water bowl, or chases me around the kitchen in it. If he's in the kitchen with me, he's pulling over the trash can, or trying to eat the dogfood, or trying to stand up holding onto the cabinet door handles (it opens! He falls! He cries! He does it again!) If he's in the living room (attached to the kitchen) he immediately crawls! away! into another room! that's far less childproofed as of now! (We can't do everything at once, unlike Archie, who mastered standing/cruising/crawling literally in three days, after barely rolling over for 9 months.)

Pair all this motion with the fact that last night he woke up at 3 am ready to party! And did so until 10:30 am (his normal schedule is wake at 6:30, nap by 9:00 at the latest.) He slept till 12:30, when I woke him up. This action was debated hotly with my husband, but I wanted him to take his normal afternoon nap. WHICH HE DIDN'T. But he just fell asleep at 5:45, and will hopefully just stay asleep for the rest of the night.

Toddlerhood, here we come!! So...I haven't gotten much done on the enchilada sauce. ANYWAY, buy the book. And tell me that we'll get the house babyproofed soon, and I won't have to be all up in his grill every second. Or just commiserate with me on the lack of sleep.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mama Monster said...

Yes. Welcome to your next 2 years. After that you get to sit down again and maybe get to finish something.

6:26 PM  
Blogger tammy said...

Oh, it's trouble, all right. But, it won't be forever. Just keep repeating that.

I've been racking my brain about the nursing-to-sleep thing you had asked. I think after a certain age, both of my kids didn't fall entirely to sleep after that evening nursing, and so I'd put them to bed mostly awake, and then they had to learn how to put themselves to sleep. I mean, I was involved. I set up a bedtime routine like nursing, burping, putting them in their crib, singing, patting, then leaving. My first was fine with this and would go to sleep, but my second would always cry at least once. I'd wait a few minutes to see if he could settle himself, and then I'd repeat the sing, pat, leave. And if he cried again, I'd wait a longer period of time before going in, but I wouldn't pick him up unless I really thought something was wrong. I wanted him to know I was there, but not learn to cry until I rocked him to sleep every night. Not doing that.

Eventually, and by that I mean after a ridiculous amount of time had passed, he learned to put himself down. This was the same approach I took to night wakings. but that, my friend, is for another day. The good news is that my kids go to sleep and stay asleep like champs now. It can happen to you.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Just some girl said...

Oh, only two YEARS...what am I bitching about, then?

It sure is fun despite the pain in the ass factor. Evolution knew what it was doing when it made babies cute.

He crawled behind a chair today and hid there and peeped out with the shiniest happiest laughingest face and played peekaboo (all by himself, with nobody manipulating blankets for him!) for the first time today, too. As well as all the annoying things. :)

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home