Friday, June 22, 2007

Mango-Fennel Salad

I had some mangoes and fennel languishing in the fridge, and we're on a "don't throw away anything you paid money for" plan, so I invented a salad. If oranges and fennel are good together (not that I've tried it, but it's not an uncommon combination) then why not mangoes? And lo, it was delicious.

4 champagne mangoes, getting slightly soft
1/2 bunch parsley, a little wilty around the edges
1 bulb fennel
1/2 red onion

I'm not sure how most people deal with fennel, as this is only my second encounter, but I trimmed off the fronds and the root and took off the yuckiest outside "leaves," then sort of peeled it to get off all the rusty bits. Then I ran it through the mandoline (that's a husbandly task around here, as our mandoline was incredibly expensive yet sucks major ass.) Diced up the mangoes and sliced the red onion very thin and minced the parsley, made a dressing of 1/3 fresh lemon juice and 2/3 olive oil (somewhere between those proportions and 50/50) and tossed it all up. YUM. I had two bowls. Hopefully mangoes and fennel are superfoods!

Anyway, let this be a lesson to you. If you have stuff hanging around the refrigerator, throw it all together and see what happens! (I made Robert taste it first, just in case, though.)

Also, has anybody seen Idiocracy? It's actually kind of funny, though depressingly possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home