Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god

Make the pineapple upside down cake recipe.

Everything else was also fabu (especially the tabbouleh - very authentic!) but the cake stole the show.

Here's the tabbouleh recipe: (I got if off Chowhound; I'm quoting the entire thing verbatim, as I copy/pasted it into my recipe manager, but I cannot find the link to the actual post, no matter how I google.)

"Don't boil the bulger, rinse it in a strainer until the water is clean, then let it soak in a bowl with equal parts lemon juice and cold water to cover for about 20 -30 minutes. When it's tender, squeeze it dry, then add the rest of your desired ingredients. We used cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, twice the amount of parsley as bulgur and salt. More lemon juice and definitely extra virgin olive oil, usually Sultan brand. Soaking the fine grain bulgur in lemon juice and water was a winner. We never added garlic. Sometimes we would add mint and tiny diced radishes in season. I loved the radishes.

Rose's Tabboouleh Recipe

½ cup dry bulgur
2 large bunches parsley, stems off & finely chopped
2 bunches green onions, finely chopped
2 large tomatoes, seeded & diced
1/8 tsp. Allspice
2 tsp. Salt or less
Pepper to taste
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil

Rinse bulgur, drain, and then soak bulgur in cold water until it doubles in size, approximately 30 - 45 minutes
Drain well and squeeze dry.
In a large bowl, add parsley, and onions. Add enough bulgur to suit your taste (less is usually needed).
Add oil, lemon juice & spices to taste then toss in tomatoes and mix lightly. Adjust seasoning to taste."

- Random fabulous Chowhounder (wish I could credit you! So so good!)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great! Is there a recipe for the pineapple upside down cake? Am I overlooking it?

1:57 PM  
Blogger Just some girl said...

It's in the last post before this one - I linked it in the list of things I was going to make. Click the "recipe can be found HERE" and it will take you to a rendering of it. And it was SO, so good!! I'm so glad someone else is going to make it!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Just some girl said...

It's in the last post before this one - I linked it in the list of things I was going to make. Click the "recipe can be found HERE" and it will take you to a rendering of it. And it was SO, so good!! I'm so glad someone else is going to make it!

2:27 PM  
Blogger tammy said...

Doh. The link for the cake doesn't seem to be working.

You've been cooking like a madwoman.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Just some girl said...

I have been indeed. That means I haven't been studying at all. (I just discovered the chowhound home cooking boards - I'm on page 39 now, so I've been pretty inspired.)

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home